Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why Malang?




That's what I was thinking when I made this blog. Why Malang? I was not born there, nor been there before, I just live there, been 3 years now. I have lived in several places in Indonesia and Holland. I speak Indonesian, English and Dutch. I don't speak Javanese as the native language used in Malang, so why Malang? I fell in love with this city on the first sight (read: first arrival).

What I knew about Malang was that the weather is cool compared to the other cities in Indonesia and it is well known with its apples. I remember when my father went on his business to Malang for several days. He came home with a big box full of apples. I didn't remember the taste but I still remember when I opened the box and touched the apples, that didn’t make me curious about this city but that were what I thought of when we heard about the plan to move there.

We moved to Malang because of the job of my husband. When I came there, I didn't have any friends or family living in Malang and as I wrote before, I don't speak Javanese, the most spoken language there. But I just felt home at once. The city is small and clean. Ok, it can be much cleaner though but it is indeed cleaner than the other cities in Indonesia I have visited. The traffic is not crowded, lots of wide streets and the weather is great. It's the combination of Holland and Indonesia. I can wear tank top and/or short pants without being afraid of getting sunburn like in Jakarta or getting cold like in Holland. Perfect!

Malang means unlucky in Indonesian but this city gives me a feeling on the contrary. I got a lot of new experience with its people, nature, events, habits, etc. Also I got lots of time to think about things which I previously ignored as I thought not important. This city opens my eyes and mind wider. We have been in several places but this is the place I get more things to see, to learn and to think. That's why Malang it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for exposing Malang so good.

The word "malang" I think not came from Indonesian, but javanese. So, it means "melintang" in Indonesian (or maybe 'to cross' in English ;) )

Enoy our stay in Malang anyway...

Kindeng said...

Hi Dhista,

Thanks for your comment. It could be that etymology of "malang" comes from Javanese. I've tried to search it but no luck. That's why I didn't say that the word comes from Indonesian but just said the meaning in Indonesian.

Great to hear you enjoy Malang too.